Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"I Can't See A Chiropractor!"

All too often while I am out in the community doing spinal screenings, I will speak with people who have been suffering with chronic back or neck pain for way too long. I usually ask them if they have ever seen a chiropractor for the problem. And then I hear the answer, "I can't see a chiropractor!" My next question is logically, "Why not?" The response is often, "My doctor said I can never get chiropractic."

Further discussion usually reveals a past history of spinal surgery or fracture in one region or area of the spine. Typically, the person's orthopedic surgeon or general practitioner has given them advice (bad advice in my opinion) to NEVER see a chiropractor. I would like to think that there is no ill-will toward chiropractors from other physician groups but I know that is not always the case. I would also like to think that the doctor that gave the advice just doesn't realize that chiropractic care can be very beneficial even after surgery.

Granted, there are some people with conditions that would be absolute contraindications to seeing a chiropractor, but that number is small. With a thorough history and physical examination, a chiropractor can determine whether or not treatment will likely be safe and effective. If there are areas of the spine that should be avoided, that doesn't mean the rest of the spine should be NEGLECTED! In most cases modifications can be made that will make chiropractic treatment safe for most people.

Personally, I have treated many people that have had spinal surgery and/or old, healed spinal fractures with good success in decreasing pain and increasing function. If you have been suffering too long and have been told that you can't see a chiropractor, I would recommend that you contact your local chiropractor and schedule a consultation. If I think I can help you, I will tell you what we need to do next. If I don't think I can help you, I will try to find someone that can. That sounds fair enough...doesn't it?

Image: renjith krishnan / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

2 comments:

  1. Very excellent points here. I have a friend of mine whose chiropractor actually recommended he get an MRI when issues weren't going away and they discovered some problems that required surgery. The chiropractic care will resume in a few weeks as he gets back to normal life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. Your information is really good. Thank you for sharing.........................

    Southbay Chiropractor

    ReplyDelete