Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Accountability Is Critical!

"Health is an achievement. If you want it, you have to say so, then work for it!" 
- B.J. Palmer
Can you believe we are a quarter of the way through 2011 already? I can't! Many of us made commitments back at the beginning of the year to improve some aspect of our health and/or wellness. How are you doing on those commitments? Did they fade away as quickly as you made them, or are you still on track?

I have found that having an accountability system in place is critical in keeping the promises I made to myself. Regardless of how you do it, it has to be done. Did you make commitments just to yourself? Did you make a commitment to your family because neglecting your own health has interfered with your family life and responsibilities? Who is holding you up to the tasks and goals you have set for yourself?


Here are some ideas to incorporate accountability into your health journey:


1.  Put it on your task or to-do list. Do you plan to exercise, but sometimes it gets done and other times it doesn't? For me, I find it empowering to be able to check something of a list. It might seem like a small thing, but completing what you plan to do is a WIN, so celebrate it! Even if it doesn't get done, it can serve as a reminder of where you need to better focus your efforts.

2.  Blog about it. Utilizing a blog can be a great way to journal your efforts. Doing it regularly can help you keep track of where you started and where you are today. Going back and reading your own posts from when you started is a great way to see where you are making progress. You can also search the Blogosphere for others in the same boat as you, or for motivation to keep you going. Before you know it you may develop your own support group amongst fellow bloggers. There are free blog site services you can use that are simple to update and personalize. I am using one now. Here is a great example of a blog that a local runner writes: http://www.runningbecauseican.com/.

3.  Use a tracking system. If you are a whiz at creating spreadsheets, feel free to create your own program. I like to use systems that are already done for me. I am currently using MyFitnessPal. It allows me to create goals, log my exercises as well as keep a food diary. If you choose, you can connect with others using it to add to the level of accountability. You can also share your progress on your blog site, on Facebook and/or Twitter. Another helpful tool to track your exercise, especially if you are a runner is Daily Mile

What systems are using to help you stay on track? I would love to hear your comments and ideas!

Image: jscreationzs / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

2 comments:

  1. I mentioned runningbecauseican.com as a great blog example of journaling progress and goals and tonight he posted another good example:

    http://www.runningbecauseican.com/making-the-commitment-2-minutes-of-plank/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main reason I started a blog 4 years ago was to help hold myself accountable. Blogging has helped keep me goal-oriented and on track, even in the toughest of times.

    ReplyDelete